Deals & Cases
Click on the practice area below to see our representative deals and cases.
Acquisition of bank branch network.
Bank sale transaction.
- Advise clients regarding compliance with Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC) and California Department of Financial Information (DFI) regulations.
- Advise clients regarding Small Business Administration (SBA), Export-Import Bank (EXIM), and other credit facilities guaranteed by governmental and quasi-governmental agencies.
- Work with regulators from SBA, EXIM and other governmental and quasi-governmental agencies on loan workouts and liquidations.
- Formulate litigation strategies and litigate cases involving liquidations and workouts of credit facilities guaranteed by SBA, EXIM and other governmental and quasi-governmental agencies.
- Facilitate UCC sales and other liquidations of collateral securing credit facilities guaranteed by governmental and quasi-governmental agencies.
- Prevailed at non-suit on $17 million Uniform Commercial Code dispute. McIntyre v. US Bank (JCCP No. 2967), Los Angeles Superior Court Case. No. SC 058640.
- Zero payment defense settlement on $10 million Uniform Commercial Code dispute. Arnold W. Klein, MD v. Khilji, Excel Bank, et.al, U.S. Bankruptcy Court (C.D. CA), Case No. 2:11-bk-12718-RN.
- Zero payment confidential defense settlement on merger/acquisition-related breach of contract and fraud action.
- Favorable defense settlement in multi-million class action involving Ponzi scheme case against bank officer. Gilbert v. Cohn, Consolidated 4-Star Fraud Cases, Los Angeles Superior Court Case No. BC 310846.
- Favorable confidential defense settlement in anti-trust action involving the communications industry.
- Favorable confidential defense settlement in action filed by animal rights activists against officers/directors of celebrity restaurant.
- Favorable confidential defense settlement in network royalty dispute against a television personality.
- Favorable confidential defense settlement in $20 million trade secret misappropriation action involving commercial food chemistry and processing secrets.
- Received an arbitration award and an award of attorneys’ fees in defense of a corporate director and general contracting company in a multi-million dollar director liability case for breach of fiduciary duty involving a hotel construction contract.
- Prevailed at jury trial on fraudulent transfer claim for investment company. Acacia Investments, LLC v. Chan, San Francisco County Super. Ct. No. CGC-03-420381.
- Successfully defended investor in partnership dispute against fraud claims, receiving dismissal at demurrer stage which was affirmed on appeal. Lavi v. Wilshire-Ardmore, L.P., 2015 WL 9259223, Los Angeles County Super. Ct. No. BC361357.
- Received arbitration award finding no fault in defense of Registered Investment Advisor in securities fraud case involving pre-IPO sale of Facebook shares.
- Successfully brought breach of contract action against corporation and its individual owners and alter egos, prevailing at summary judgment stage. Bellini’s Food Corp. v. Restaurant Kitchen Services & Consulting, Los Angeles County Super. Ct. No. SC076136.
- Successfully defended court-appointed receiver, receiving a finding of no fault and full payment of receiver’s fees, in matter brought against him for wrongful retention of funds by Central Contra Costa Sanitary District, Santa Clara Valley Water District, the City of Sebastopol, Old Republic Surety Company and Lincoln General Insurance Company.
- Successfully represented a well known social media and advertising company in breach of contract and related claims, obtaining a dismissal without filing a dispositive motion.
- Represented a not-for-profit entity against quasi-class action unfair business practices claims filed by the People of the State of California through the City Attorney for the City of Los Angeles, and negotiated a confidential settlement without filing a dispositive motion.
- Represented sorority housing corporation against several plaintiffs in derivative suit regarding the sale of corporate assets; achieved favorable settlement terms.
International supply chain, franchise and real estate transactions on behalf of a major celebrity stylist.
Numerous bulk loan sales acquisition and sales contract.
Confidential sale of bankcard processing division.
- Assisted multiple clients in corporate and limited liability company entity formation, partnership agreements, and corporate reorganizations.
- Advised clients regarding shareholder disputes, equity dilution issues, and corporate management disputes.
- Advised clients regarding stock sale agreements, stock option agreements, and employee equity plans.
- Assisted clients with corporate stock sales, auctions and acquisitions.
- Advised clients, devise litigation strategies and litigate matters involving corporate receiverships and liquidations.
- Successfully represented lender before California Supreme Court in litigation involving REO sales transaction. Simon v. San Paolo US Holding Company (2010) 35 Cal.4th 1159.
- Successfully defended First Federal Bank of California in federal credit slander case. Akselrod v. Chex Systems, 2005 WL 1492390, No. CV 04-3680 GPS.
- Successfully appealed stay of enforcement of award of costs before the California Supreme Court after prevailing on nonsuit in lender liability case. Bank of San Pedro v. Superior Court (1992) 3 Cal.4th 797.
- Successfully defended lender, getting case dismissed at trial court and prevailing on appeal, in fraudulent transfer case. Martino v. First Bank of Beverly Hills, 2002 WL 358824, Los Angeles County Super. Ct. No. SC061321.
- Successfully appealed trial court holding in judicial foreclosure case, allowing client to collect full contractual interest and full deficiency on loan. San Paolo U.S. Holding Co., Inc. v. 816 South Figueroa Co. (1998) 62 Cal.App.4th 1010.
- Prevailed in lien subrogation action, allowing lender to assume first position lien and recovery after foreclosure of deed of trust. Recon Trust Company v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 2012 WL 2914227, Los Angeles County Super. Ct. No. SS020213.
- Defeated homestead exemption claim for secured deed of trust holder, prevailing at demurrer stage. Kim v. First Federal Bank of California, Los Angeles County Super. Ct. No. BC250730.
- Represented purchaser of large patent portfolio at Chapter 7 bankruptcy auction.
- Successfully represented bank in jury trial against a Burger King franchisee for fraudulent transfer and related claims, securing a multi-million judgment; had receiver appointed prior to trial to preserve assets of eventual judgment debtors.
- Successfully appointed a receiver over large grocery store and managed to liquidate and recover assets of bankrupt business and bankrupt guarantors in favor of commercial lender.
- Received pretrial preliminary injunction appointing receiver over gas station and commercial strip mall; matter resolved through non-judicial foreclosure.
- Successful representation of First Federal Bank of California, Mercantile National Bank, Bank of San Pedro and other banks in jury trials on claims of lender liability totaling in excess of $150,000,000.00.
- Successfully represented lenders on wrongful foreclosure claims of over $100,000,000.00 in jury trials.
- Advised multiple startup companies, from retail to technology, regarding labor and employment requirements, practices and procedures.
- Defended local and multi-state clients in state and federal courts and arbitration on employment, wage and hour, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other labor and employment related litigation.
- Represented local and national companies in Department of Labor audits and Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC) proceedings and investigations.
- Prosecuted and protect employer trade secrets.
- Represented multi-state hotel chain regarding labor and employment practices and Department of Labor issues.
- Represented local and national real estate investment and development corporations regarding labor and employment practices and Department of Labor issues.
- Represented local and national luxury retailers regarding labor and employment practices and Department of Labor issues.
- Represented local and national high-tech companies regarding labor and employment practices and Department of Labor issues.
- Represented medical professionals throughout competitive bidding and SBA loan financing processes in their purchase of Santa Monica medical office building in which they were tenants.
- Successfully represented commercial property owner on easement dispute at trial. Waadt Sherman Way v. Affiliated Equities, Los Angeles County Super. Ct. No. LC094079.
- Defended commercial landowners in disputed breach of joint venture action in which the Plaintiff sought tens of millions of dollars in damages, and negotiated a confidential settlement.
- Defended property owners and lienholders on real estate title matters as panel counsel for national title insurer.