Steven N. Richman
Steven Richman is a partner at Epport, Richman & Robbins, LLP, specializing in commercial, banking, real estate and general business matters. With over forty years of experience, Mr. Richman’s practice includes both litigation and transactional matters. With regard to litigation, Mr. Richman has conducted over 200 jury and bench trials. He has also briefed and argued cases before the United States Supreme Court, the California Supreme Court, the Nevada Supreme Court, and the Courts of Appeal in several jurisdictions, with over twenty published decisions.
Mr. Richman has extensive experience in litigation and transactional matters involving banking, bankruptcy, real estate and commercial matters, as well as human resource issues. In addition, he has handled multi-million dollar transactions involving real estate purchases, sales and financing. Apart from serving as outside counsel, Mr. Richman has also served as General Counsel or Chief Litigation Counsel for several financial institutions.
Mr. Richman has earned several awards during his career. He is currently listed in Who’s Who In American Law, Who’s Who Among American Business Executives, the International Directory of Expertise, the Contemporary Who’s Who of Professionals, Who’s Who in Finance and Business, Who’s Who in the World, and the 21st Century Award for Achievement. Mr. Richman is also registered with the International Biographical Centre in Cambridge, England as part of its Worldwide Honours List. He has lectured for the Beverly Hills Bar Association and conducted seminars in banking and real estate matters.
Mr. Richman received an Associate of Arts Degree in Political Science from El Camino College in 1976 (cum laude); a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Southern California in 1978 (cum laude); and a Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School of Los Angeles in 1981 (cum laude). Mr. Richman was a member of the St. Thomas Moore Honor Society for all three years while in law school. He also served as a member of the Board of the Scott Moot Court Honors Competition while at Loyola, and was a semi-finalist in a national moot court competition.
- Successfully represented a lender before the United States Supreme Court and California Supreme Court on four occasions relating to lender liability claims.
- Successfully represented a litigant in recovering over $300,000 in expert witness fees before the California Supreme Court after successfully defending a multi-month jury trial.
- Successfully represented lenders in collecting hundreds of millions of dollars on delinquent loans.
- Successfully represented lenders in defending lender liability claims totaling in the hundreds of millions of dollars in both jury and non-jury trials.
- Assisted parties in loan workouts and restructuring transactions representing hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Participated in the purchase and sale of professional sports franchises (in both hockey and baseball).
- Served as in-house counsel to four financial institutions.
- Advised corporations and limited liability companies on internal operations, investigations and business transactions.
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court